Gay Pride is here again. I am not going to the parade or doing anything this weekend.I am still disillusioned, with the gay community. Obviously, it has only been a day.
It's such a joke, most of these guys will be walking stereotypes. Camp Queens, Drag Queens, Muscle Marys and Promiscuous Slappers with the occasional Butch Lesbian thrown in for good measure. All of them are involved in a "Political Movement" that has gone as far as it can politically. The fact of the matter is that bigotry will always exist, as society is unwilling to combat it. Iris Robinson has been invited to this years' parade, by the organisers. I know in my heart she won't attend. Why would she? After all she hasn't shown any signs of repentence, for her hurtful, demoralising and uneducated comments.
However I do feel the gay community is becoming a victim of Gay Pride. All Pride does now is enable others to perpetuate hurtful and inaccurate stereotypes. There are the floats with Drag Queens and elaborate costumes, these are fun and are a part of gay "Culture". They are certainly interesting to watch. But where are floats with the young gay professionals, in their suits and ties. Or the floats with men who are proud to be gay, but don't have great bodies and faces, the men who don't wear the annual output of L'Oreal in their hair.
These are the people I want to represent my community in political matters, the ones who will get taken seriously. Not the ones who take to the streets dressed as ballerinas and Las Vegas showgirls.
5 comments:
A good point about gay professionals and less attractive gays - where were they? I must say there was something that bothered me about the parade at the time but I couldn't put my finger on it. I think that's part of the answer. I think also it's too much of a minority thing, it seemed like straights weren't really welcome. Which is maybe why it still gets such a small audience, while the parades in other cities like San Fran and Sydney and Toronto get massive audiences - there it's just great fun for everyone, and whole families turn up to enjoy it.
I would love Pride to be like that in Belfast, but gays are a minority (stating the obvious), other cities, other countries work hard to be gay friendly, I think N. Ireland is a long way from such a thing. No one is open-minded enough to initiate the changes that must be made.
It sucks, because recently I've started to feel unsafe in my own street. I'm not obviously gay, but the local idiots know my secret.
Yesterday, while I was walking the dog, the idiots started jeering me and asking if I went to Pride. I did my best to ignore them. But I get the distinct impression, that neither answer would have satisfied them.
Pride is part of the problem, because it is a poor representation of the gay "community" (it's that term again) as a whole.
Not really related but funny.
How many straight San Franciscan men does it take to change a ligth bulb?
Answer: Both of them.
Ah, now I see why you're afraid of being beaten and killed. There are certainly some nasty gay-hating individuals around so I hope you're able to avoid them.
Well said.
Post a Comment